Weekend Update for May 10-13, 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Update for May 10-13, 2024

Please update us what you've done on your model railroad this week/weekend. This weekly thread is intended for us to post snippets about our layout/project progress, rather than be a substitute for our layout-build or project threads. Think of this topic as a mini update on what you've accomplished during the week/weekend.
    The administrators/moderators will start a new update thread each Friday.

You can link from your layout-build thread or project to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread).

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browser's address bar. Then just copy and paste.

So fellow RMRers, what have you been up to this week?​
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Does spending 15 minutes taking tools outside and cutting and screwing exactly 6 boards count as working on the model railroad? That's about all that has progressed in the last few weeks.
    Follow along on Facebook as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/424898032713171/

Comment

• LorenC
      LorenC commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd say so. You still are way ahead of some of us.

• Paul S.
      Paul S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Summer break is almost here, Craig! And yes, every little bit matters.

• craigtownsend
      craigtownsend commented
      Editing a comment
      I made a little more progress today until I was in the direct sun (what is the bright object in the sky I haven't seen in 10 months?). I got 16' ready for the hardware cloth and landscaping fabric. I should have enough of both of those on hand along with the spline sections.
      Slow progress but nothing worthwhile of major updates.

Two weeks worth of updates since I was consumed last weekend.

70% of the phone system is installed, tested, and commissioned. Next week we hope to finish up the rest of the railroad. Dispatcher's station with MRCS components really has worked out well. Good send and receive volume, and an operational buzzer to summon the Worley Yardmaster when the Dispatcher needs updates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8819.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	31813

Also started working on my station / office for Worley. I had an old Model Masterpieces kit that I bought for this application. Unfortunately, it had a one piece cast hydrocal hip roof. Had to cut that in half, and that was an ugly task. They gave me some dental stone for patching as needed, so need to work on that this weekend. Cut the building in half, the red colored brick building is the station / office. The other half is a little less then half so I could put a loading dock on it.

That is a mirror image of the other one, but I have a home for it on the same track as the freight house.

Name:	IMG_8815.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	31815

Used a white / grey turpenoid wash for the bricks. Went over the bricks with a cotton swap and turpenoid to get some of the grey off of the brick face. Hacked up some Walthers Foundation modular kit parts for the steps and loading dock. Not painted or attached in the photo. Still have to paint the concrete trim also. This building will have a flat room. Want to differentiate it from the other building.

Name:	IMG_8814.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	31814

Since I had the turpenoid wash out, tried one of the buildings in my packing plant complex.

Name:	IMG_8816.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	31816

This is actually the back (unseen) part of the building. Wasn't sure if I would like it. Seemed to come out well. Have to finish all the buildings there now.

Oh, I also wanted to keep the filament printer going while I did other stuff. Spit out two lumber yard buildings. This is also a kabrumble building off of Thingiverse. Printing is the easy part, now I have to paint and detail it so it looks good with the Campbell kit that is also going here. That is the cardboard mockups.

The building to the left is the GE Turboencabulator plant built my my friend Allen from an old Korber kit he had, which he bashed to fit the scene.

Name:	IMG_8832.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	31817

Name:	IMG_8833.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	31818

Regards,
    Jerry

Comment

• Paul S.
      Paul S. commented
      Editing a comment
      As Cody said, the wash looks great. Turpenoid, eh?

• JerryZ
      JerryZ commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul, I have been doing most of my weathering with turpenoid washes. A local modeler named Chris Vanko has been doing outstanding weathering jobs on freight cars. Here is a link to one of his presentations https://www.rpmconference.com/wp-con...Weathering.pdf He uses pan pastels too.

Pierre Oliver (Elgin Car Works / Yarmouth Models) has an excellent video on TMTV, one of the few videos I have purchased.

• Paul S.
      Paul S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Jerry!

Well done, Jerry. I especially like the phone system. I would have enjoyed installing and cutting that over with you.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	31822 trainworx T800 converted to a grain truck. 3D printed cargo area based on photos. Wanted to model it loaded with tarp on so I could drop the bogey axle. Extended the wheel base.

Comment

• Michael Whiteman
        Michael Whiteman commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be cool to put the driver behind the tire looking into the engine bay to locate that fuel leak.

Finally some progress on my 60 ft. turntable. The holdup was accurately drilling a 3mm hole into the end of a 12mm plywood block. This was to sit over the vertical drive shaft. 3 attempts were, for various reason, discarded. Looking at what else I could use, Evergreen 259 rectangular tube with .20 thou styrene either side worked and i was able to drill it to my satisfaction. 2 versions were made up as well as the bridge itself (on the 2nd attempt).

Name:	tt7.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	31843 Click image for larger version

Name:	tt5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	31844

Name:	tt6.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	31845

Comment

• Paul S.
        Paul S. commented
        Editing a comment
        Will be watching and learning, Russ.

This useful 3D-printed tool, courtesy of the generosity of alans , arrived in the mail. I am looking forward to putting it work soon!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240511_145802.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	31850

Comment

• alans
        alans commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad it got there. May not be room on the work bench!

• Russ C
        Russ C commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking of getting one as well. Keep us updated on how it performs please Paul...

More work with rock castings:

https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...1853#post31853

Comment

The Spencer FreeMoN module is packed and ready to go. There is still lots of detail work (and a couple of structures to be built) to be added on the Spencer proper section but it looks good enough for now. This will be my first modular experience in nearly 40 years. Wish me luck.

Name:	Spencer BEfore ONSW Ready to Go.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	31971

Here is what the sections looked like prior to pack up.

Name:	Spencer Before ONSW Proper.jpg
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	31969

Name:	Spencer Before ONSW Curve.jpg
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	31970

Name:	Spencer Before ONSW East End.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	31968

Comment

• Russ C
          Russ C commented
          Editing a comment
          Have fun FeeMoing!!
          And, like Allen said...pics...pics and more pics

• JerryZ
          JerryZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome work Steve!

• Steve H AC&Y
          Steve H AC&Y commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the encouragement fellas. Since this will be the maiden voyage so to speak, I hope I haven't overlooked something and attract the wrong kind of attention. Did someone say Icebergs? 8-)
      Working...
      X