Usernames policy change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usernames policy change?

Allen and I want to bring up the topic of usernames. We envision RMR as being a community of like-minded model railroaders, enhanced by usernames that include the first name of each member. That's a policy we have stuck with since RMR was launched almost two years ago. It seems to be working.

But we're also wondering whether this policy might be discouraging potential active new members.

What are your thoughts on this? Should we keep the status quo, or alter the username policy to be more in line with other model railroad forums?

And for visitors who aren't yet members, but would like to comment, send us an email at info@realisticmodelrailroading.net

Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    " I came here to chew bubble gum and kick butt, and I am all out of bubble gum"

Comment

It's worked so far. But if someone wants a specific name then assess it on a case by case basis.

Comment

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to use your first name unless you're running from the law. If that's the case then just make one up.
        HO Scale

Comment

I don't think there is any problem with the first name as part of the user name. I think it brings some personality to otherwise anonymous user names.

Comment

Well, so far there's been no great grassroots upswell favoring another policy.

Allen and I have noticed the past couple years that once in a while a new registrant will choose a username outside the policy. Before we OK everything, we've asked those folks to give us another username with their first name -- and we never hear from them again. It's not that enforcing the policy gives us a thrill. Rather, we think the reason for the policy has made this a very welcoming forum, and we want to keep it that way.🙂
            Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

I would have liked to use my original / traditional name suggestion, PaulS. And you may or may not recall the troubles w/me registering for the site. You admins are/ were very accomodating so I decided to join anyway. It's been worth my time joining. Names not a serious issue imho. My .02 cents.

michael jones
              Aspire to inspire before I expire

Common sense, is so rare it should be a Marvel "superpower".

Comment

Working...
              X