Bunkbed Switching Layout HO scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunkbed Switching Layout HO scale

This shelf is the beginning of my incredibly small switching layout in a room measuring 8 x 9.5 feet. I hope this might be an inspiration to anyone who thinks they have no room. This is a huge change from the large layouts in my past, but my focus today is on fewer items having much better quality. This will surely help with my frustration index and allow me more time to pursue some new ideas. A lot of my focus on operation in the past has been sidetracked by the fantastic sound found in our diesels today. It's interesting to realize what's important changes with each new layout. I'm looking forward to sharing more of my thoughts as this build progresses. Thanks for watching.
    Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 05-23-2021, 09:13 PM.
    HO Scale

Looking forward to seeing more of the new layout Michael. Seeing you previous N scale layout, this one should as nice if not nicer.
    It's also interesting how you made the layout fit your bunk bed, seems like a clever use of space to me.
    The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
    It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

This is the track plan I decided on. It is the top level on a bunk bed at 53 inches. The curved area in the upper left is for access to the sliding closet door directly against this end of the layout. The secondary branch line runs along the 72" lower edge and track on the upper edge belongs to an old traction line that went out of business a year ago. This last year a connecting track has been laid through farmer Brown's field so that cars can be spotted on the back side of the future plant, represented by the area in white. There is a spur curving off the branch line that continues around to the shelf where Plant 2 is located. This one and only industry is a facility that takes raw fertilizer products and proportionally mixes them into bags for distribution through the big box stores and nurseries. Plant 2 deals with chemical fertilizers in the same manor. I chose this industry because I had a couple of the structures left form my last layout and it gives me an opportunity to utilize many different rail cars. The time period is just before the BN merger in 1970 when I briefly worked as a switchman for the Northern Pacific. I like the railcars form this period and there are a lot of different automobiles available also.

I spent way to much time doodling track plans for this. Everyone criticized me for not having a run around somewhere. I chose to make the trackwork as simple as possible, mainly for looks. Besides, there is a run around located a couple miles off the right edge of the layout past the imaginary crossing. More on this later...........

Even though this is far form finished I've been switching cars and have found I can spend 30 to 40 minutes without realizing it. This is plenty enough fun time for me. I do miss all my fellow modelers I ran with before moving to southern Oregon.
      Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 05-07-2021, 10:18 PM.
      HO Scale

Comment

I like it Michael.
        Small and simple and I can believe you when you say it takes up 30 minutes are better.
        That's just enough time to have fun and scratch the itch.

It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

This is the main area of my layout. It is a single piece of 1/2 inch Homasote with nothing under it except 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch stringers on 18 inch centers. This is plenty strong enough to support the weight of anything I will be putting on it. I am a firm believer that most all layouts are strong enough to support an engine block in your garage and definitely overbuilt. I understand that considerations need to be made regarding temperature and humidity changes, but that's not the case in my climate controlled room. Just my personal opinion and not meant to create an argument.
          HO Scale

Comment

Michael, this is a great example of a creative solution to the "no space for a layout" issue.
            Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

Michael,

Thank you for the additional pictures and comments! Now that I see the bunkbed portion of the layout is connected to the finished (?) portion on the other side of the room, the entire concept makes much more sense to me. Thank you for sharing your work!

Tim Moran

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf 1 .JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	1584

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	1589 Click image for larger version

Name:	The Woods .JPG
Views:	684
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1590

Plant 2 is located at the end of a spur running outside of town. For whatever reason the local ordeces will not allow certain chemicals within the city limits. ( read more in post #3) Tankers and boxcars are delivered here bi-weekly. Once again a sincere "thank you" to MikeD for giving me these beautiful trees from his former layout the Colorado Front Range.
                Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 05-17-2021, 09:31 PM.
                HO Scale

Comment

• Paul S.
                  Paul S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great modeling, Michael. Now, if that SP&S RS-3 would only get here. ...

• Michael Whiteman
                  Michael Whiteman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Paul. Two years on pre-order, what's a few more months..............

My Wig-Wag crossing signal from Showcase Miniatures hasn't worked since I put it together. Maybe my signal maintainer, I think his name is Paul, can get her working. He's pretty good I hear.

I used a very small MV lens for the light in the target.
                Any truck can be made into a Hi-Railer by adding kit #918 from Detail Associates

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wig-Wag 1 .JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	1787 Click image for larger version  Name:	Wig-Wag 2 .JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	1788 Click image for larger version  Name:	Wig-Wag 3 .JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.2 KB ID:	1789
                Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 05-20-2021, 09:03 PM.
                HO Scale

Comment

• Paul S.
                  Paul S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just diggin' the backdrop, Michael!

Michael,
                Great use of space! It looks like your maintainer is just standing there. Maybe too many doughnuts for breakfast.

Greg
                " I came here to chew bubble gum and kick butt, and I am all out of bubble gum"

Comment

• Paul S.
                  Paul S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now how in the heck did you know I was a doughnut fiend, Greg?!! Bad habit I have, but jelly-filled or Bavarians are a favorite. Maple bars too.

So I'm thinking something is wrong in the solenoid circuit and the lighting circuit. I'm also hoping it's in the case, not up higher!!! ;-) At least the NP has given me a good hyrail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_779.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1965 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_778.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1966 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_777.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1967

If your industry only needs one fork lift let me recommend this highly detailed white metal kit by GHQ.
                Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 05-23-2021, 02:56 PM.
                HO Scale

Comment

• TimMoran
                  TimMoran commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Michael - That is a GREAT looking forklift model. Thanks for sharing your work!

• Allen
                  Allen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent job Michael, I love the chipped and worn paint around the edges and the on the forks.

• Michael Whiteman
                  Michael Whiteman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks guys. Funny, the chips actually came from excessive handling while assembling the rest of the model, although they do look pretty real, so I let them be.

Name:	image_788.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1997 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_789.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1998 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_790.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1999
                This is the last feature on the shelf. Plant 2 is the liquid chemical division of my only industry. It's the Union Crane and Shovel kit in the Cornerstone series. All of these buildings are designed to be used on a 4x8 layout and look really wrong when one 50ft boxcar is as long as their side. Instead of buying a second kit to make it longer I chose to bring the back side around and add it to the front. It's now 18 3/4 in. long. Not being able to see the rear, I used a piece of .060 PVC sheet to fill in that area.
                Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 05-23-2021, 09:41 PM.
                HO Scale

Comment

• Paul S.
                  Paul S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great bit of modeling, Michael. Gritty, but not overly so.

Yeah, you're right about many of the Walthers' industrial buildings in HO -- designed for 4x8s. Unfolding and using them for industries up against the backdrop makes better use of them.

Here are a few "drone shots" of the fertilizer plant after placing it on the layout

Name:	IMG_4604.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	9166 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4608.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	9167 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	9168
                HO Scale

Comment

• Greg
                  Greg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s pretty freaking sweet!!
                  That is one awesome industry!

I decided to walk around it and take some pictures from ground level.

Name:	IMG_4618.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	9175 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	9176 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4622.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	9177 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4626.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	9178
                HO Scale

Comment

• Greg
                  Greg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s just keeps getting better!!!!

• Russ C
                  Russ C commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, that's a different, unusual and fantastic look at your mill. Just an incredible building!!

Wow! That is looking fantastic Michael

Comment

Working...
                X