The Cincinnati West (HO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear things went good, well almost good...😕
    How in the hell did he get that close to the house? Holy crap!
    Was he that excited to see the operational enhancements or was he that overwhelmed by them?
    The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
    It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...
    ​

Comment

• Randy
      Randy commented
      Editing a comment
      It was on the way out, so the obvious cause was that he was still so immersed in the Cincinnati West experience he didn't even notice the house.

• Allen
      Allen commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that could be looked upon as a compliment. You have done a good job if he was that immersed with your layout!

• Paul S.
      Paul S. commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣🤣🤣

Did you get the license plate?

Tom Patterson is quite the talented modeler. I miss seeing his layout on MRH.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n​

Comment

Eight years ago today I installed the first steel supports for the Cincinnati West. Eight years!

To celebrate, let's take a cab ride on the Penn Central tracks. We've just climbed the helix out of Avon Yard in Indianapolis and are heading east to Cincinnati:

The camera exceeds the plate restrictions of the helix, so we'll jump back on just west of Monsanto, still headed east:

Sorry about all the vibrating sounds in the second video. I need to make sure the camera doesn't touch the gondola next time, or that the engineer doesn't have Skyline for lunch. One or the other. ;-)

Randy
    Last edited by Randy; 05-24-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Paul S.
      Paul S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for posting these, Randy. Amazing amount accomplished is just eight years!

Don't know how I didn't see this earlier.

• Randy
      Randy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Paul. I'm glad somebody watched them, lol.

The faithful crew is on Summer break because I have too much going on for a while, so no interesting updates. But, I do have a boring update.
    I wasn't going to post anything about this, but figured, what the heck. A boring update is better than no update, and many of you will find my ham-handed structure efforts amusing, I'm sure.

I've been working on Indiana Grain on the B&O. The elevators have a sort of scaffolding structure surrounding them that I want to duplicate.

My first thought was to just scratch build them out of styrene. So I started cutting and gluing one side.

That was taking entirely too long. So, I decided to look for some commercial pieces I could use.

I found these Plastruct girders that were pretty close:

This is much more efficient than building from scratch. So I made up a portion of one of the elevator towers
    using them:

It was ok, but it wasn't sparking joy. It was just way too heavy-looking. I was still looking for
    something better.

I went to the Indy Junction train show, and saw some crane pieces for sale. They looked like they
    might be just what I needed.

These sparked joy. So I got to work on extending the elevators to the height I need:

That big girder may be too big for the project, but it makes a good straight edge.

I told you that you'd find it amusing. That putty is my best friend since I can't get these corners tight for anything. Structure
    building is not my jam. I have talents, but this aint one of 'em. I'm doing the best I can, as long as it enhances operations, its
    good enough.

Getting the "cage" the right length:

Made up the extra-long ladder and safety cage:

The support tower around the extended elevator, ladder and safety cage :
    la

A little test fit:

Not my forte, but I'm trying. This more realistic depiction of the facility will really enhance operations.

-Randy

Comment

• Steve H AC&Y
      Steve H AC&Y commented
      Editing a comment
      The massive envelope of the structure is what most people will notice first . . . . and last. Those that get to the structure details will notice the caged ladders next and probably never even question the bucket elevator support structure. It all works together quite well. Nice job.

• Russ C
      Russ C commented
      Editing a comment
      More interesting with a good looking result than amusing.
      That's some nice work!

• Eric - Housatonic RR
      Eric - Housatonic RR commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the results are outstanding! The scale of the girders looks perfect.

That really makes this a very unique looking scene!

Those towers look the part, Randy. Sparked joy in me, anyhow.

As for structures and associated skill set, remember the ol' adage, "Fake it until you make it "
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n​

Comment

Randy,
      Trying is all that matters and what leads to improvements.
      Those cage towers look real good as do the ladders.
      I'm impressed...

It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...
      ​

Comment

Update: Something about the arrangement of the facility wasn't sitting right with me. I finally figured it out. I needed to eliminate
        one of the tall drying bins, add the narrow dark grey bin, and one more low bin. That layout looked a lot more like the prototype photo to me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-18-22 Indiana Grain complex.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	17538

I was hung up on having two of the taller drying bins because the prototype has two. But, they're placed one in front of the other,
        and I don't have that depth here so I had them side by side. No bueno. This version is mucho bettero.

I stumbled upon a can of matte peach spray paint in my local hardware store in the blow out bin. As soon as I saw it, I thought
        of the color of these grain bins. I was skeered to paint them peach. But, after spraying a test piece, I jumped in and sprayed the bins
        and the elevators, and they match the photo very closely.

Now all the dang piping. But not until after SWOOPS.

Randy

Comment

That looks great, Randy. Anyone familiar with the area would recognize that industry.

Comment

• Randy
          Randy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, that's always the best test.

Those look fantastic Randy! Are those Kit? 3D? Scratched?
        Whatever they are, I'm sure they'll enhance the Ops, lol

Speaking of enhancing Ops, what else have you been upto?

​

Comment

• Randy
          Randy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, the four bins are Iowa Scaled kits, they're great. The darker tower is a 3D print.

Although it's a perfect representation of the prototype, I had the same feeling Randy. I think it's because it's too symmetrical in overall shape. It's kinda like three trees (or anything) in a group is always more satisfying than four. I think you're on the right track with a different look. Try rearranging the pieces.
        HO Scale

Comment

• Randy
          Randy commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not quite a perfect representation of the prototype, but its close enough for me. Once all the piping is installed, and the conveyors, it will do the job.

I've caught up on this whole thread. A very nice layout, looks like a fun time operating it!

Comment

Yes, I agree with the others that you have done a really good job on representing that industry and the paint is a perfect match.
          Loren Clarke - Fort Worth, Texas
          Modeling the Pittsburg & Shawmut railroad.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/pittsb...wmut_railroad/
          "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above". James 1:17
          ​

Comment

Working...
          X