No announcement yet.

WP's Canyon Sub in N Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to catch and correct that now than after turnout servos are installed and ballast laid, Rodney!
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

• Rodney
      Rodney commented
      Editing a comment
      It pays to play once in awhile

Got all the bell cranks done and the Arduino mounted

Ready for servos

Last edited by Paul S.; 11-30-2022, 04:38 AM.
    Rodney

https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...cale#post25948

Comment

• Allen
      Allen commented
      Editing a comment
      Exciting Rodney!
      Will these be controlled via a panel or DCC, or both?
      I really need to get down to your layout....

• N Scale Brad
      N Scale Brad commented
      Editing a comment
      That is really an impressive yard. Can you reach those back tracks ?

• Rodney
      Rodney commented
      Editing a comment
      Allen, they will be operated just by the control panel

Brad, The width at this part of the yard is only 24", so it's pretty easy to reach those back tracks

One of the major drawbacks to servos, is that the signal wire cannot be longer than 60" or somewhere there about.

There is a couple of ways to wire servos
    One, is run all three wires back to the controller
    The other is run a buss with 5 volt positive and negative for the servo power, and only the signal wire goes to the controller.

On most of my mine, I've done the all three wires back to the controller (Arduino)​
    Rodney

Comment

22 servos installed and the rotary switch matrix wired. Next will be the 2 control panels

Rodney

Comment

Holy crap Rodney! That's a lot of wiring, lol
        Kudos to you for keeping it all straight and proper...
        The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
        It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

• Michael Whiteman
          Michael Whiteman commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Allen should promote you beyond the title of SWITCHMAN after seeing all of this. You've gotta feel good with this much progress.

• Allen
          Allen commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know Michael, he IS working with switches so his title is fitting? LOL

• Rodney
          Rodney commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Micheal, but I think Allen is right though

I've been making progress finally after a bout with a bad lung infection that had me down for over 3 weeks.

Got all the servos wired and control panels made. Hooking up all the frog power took the longest.

Cut and assembled some carcard boxes out of smoked acrylic. Printed several 100 waybills for the carcards.

This is the one at Oroville trim end

East Oroville industries

Rodney

Comment

Never having used car cards before Rodney, those boxes made it real nice to sort them out while pulling or spotting the cars.

It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

For the OPs weekend, I thought I had enough rolling stock on the layout to keep everyone busy. Well I didn't, as some of the locals were done well before the sessions were over.

So over the last few weeks, I've been renumbering some cars. About 90% of my rolling stock is Kadee/MTL and I have a lot of cars with the same numbers

I started on some tank car for all the oil/gasoline dealers that is or will be on the layout. Before decaling them, they got body mounted couplers and weight added to them by taking them apart and adding lead sheet to the stock weight.

I have a minimum weight of 23 grams for all rolling stock.

Using a toothpick, I scratched off one or two numbers and added decal numbers. I didn't bother with the numbers on the ends of the cars

Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
              I didn't bother with the numbers on the ends of the cars
              As someone who has changed numbers on the ends of several N scale cars, I understand why you chose not to, Rodney!
              Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

• Rodney
                Rodney commented
                Editing a comment
                Paul, are you insane😁??? On some cars, I can't even read them, let alone see them to change the numbers.

• Paul S.
                Paul S. commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a bit OCD of me, isn't it? Thankfully I have a small fleet of rolling stock!

Before the cars go on the layout, I make carcards for them. I have Shenware carcards and waybill software, but haven't figured out how to use it yet.

So for now, I've been using Excell to make them. I'll just use Shenware for the waybills. There is a couple N scale layouts here in the area that
              has photos of the car on the car cards. So I've been playing around with seeing if I can do it.

Here is what it looks like in the print "preview"

I might make the car number smaller and the photo a little smaller as the waybill covers up some of the photo.

Don't pat attention to the waybill as I just put this one in there to see what it will look like.

Rodney

Comment

For the OPs weekend, I thought I had enough rolling stock on the layout to keep everyone busy. Well I didn't, as some of the locals were done well before the sessions were over.
                I can help you with more rolling stock Rod! lol

Using a toothpick, I scratched off one or two numbers and added decal numbers. I didn't bother with the numbers on the ends of the cars.

I recently re-decaled some Milwaukee air side hoppers.
                Greg asked me to try and add the end numbers, ugh...

I got them, but my eyes hurt and were crossed for several hours afterwards.
                I don't plan on doing this with every car, it was more of a challenge to see if I could do it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6878.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	20919
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6879.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	20920

Comment

For the last few days, I've been working on Keddie Yard to make it operable for a upcoming session in October. I only needed 4 tracks for sorting and the interchange track for the Quincy RR. This will add another operator to a session. The operator will only have 6 to 8 trains to work with each train only having 1 to 3 cars to work. He will also work the Quincy interchange track.

I used ground throws for now for a session or two to see if the yard will work the way I think it will. If it does, all the ground throws will be replaced with servos and control panels.

Last edited by Paul S.; 08-28-2023, 08:56 AM. Reason: Removed extra space between photos.
                  Rodney

Comment

• Rodney
                    Rodney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Paul

It's under the track between Williams Loop and Blairsden

• Paul S.
                    Paul S. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yes, I think remember seeing that now. I'm glad you're including that as a feature, Rodney. I've always had a bit of soft spot for the Quincy RR, ever since learning about it in those Campbell Scale Models ads back in the mid 1970s.

• Allen
                    Allen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It looks good Rodney, you've added quite a bit in that area since I seen it in February.

I've been playing with Keddie yard and high line staging. I plan to operate 2 GWS (Great Northern, Western Pacific, and Santa Fe) trains from the high line staging yard and 2 SWG trains to the high line staging. My average length train on the layouts is around 50 cars, but I only have room for 21 car trains with locos and caboose in staging.

So, a major rebuild is the works. I really didn't like the "snake effect" on this part of the mainline as well.

Last edited by Rodney; 09-02-2023, 11:51 AM.
                  Rodney

Comment

This is what it looks like this morning

I had set the original grade on the layout itself to 1% (helix is 2%) as the prototype is. But wanting to add some stock pens to what was Belden and changing the name to Merlin siding, I'm going to increase the grade to 2% so I can get the siding level instead of the 1% that it is now. That may mean that I'll have to rebuild all the way back to Pulga (the first siding after leaving Oroville.
                    Last edited by Paul S.; 09-01-2023, 01:31 PM. Reason: Reduced, reused and recycled white space 🙂
                    Rodney

Comment

• Allen
                      Allen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad to see I'm not the only one who rips up my layout and redoes it? Although, I just rip up my tracks...
                      Looking forward to see how it turns out Rodney!

Well that was certainly a major move! Sometimes jumping in with both feet is necessary when the whole layout isn't sitting well in your mind. Better to change it now than to live with something you don't like after all the scenery work is done. Looking forward to seeing the improved version Rodney.
                    HO Scale

Comment

• Rodney
                      Rodney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yea, that is part of the reason no major scenery work has been started.
                  Working...
                  X