NSWRR - Nebraska & Southwestern (N)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSWRR - Nebraska & Southwestern (N)

NOTE: I have stopped working on this layout and it has been removed.
    You can click on this link follow my new layout build in this thread:

https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...rn-n#post30123

My current layout, aptly named the Nebraska & Southwestern, is a freelanced plan based loosely on the two areas I have lived in. I grew up in SE Nebraska and got hooked on BN coal trains in the 90s. After that I moved to Arizona for a short while and fell in love with the desert southwest. (I have since moved back to NE). For this layout I am trying to incorporate a little of both areas, which I know are drastically different and could be a fun challenge.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_997.jpg Views:	43 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	2664
    The layout is "round the room twice" in a 10'X14' room. Inspiration of the track plan came from PelleSoeborg's Daneburg sub. I actually started this layout as HO scale and after running on it for a bit decided that the room was too small and switched back over to N scale. I left the subroadbed and just replaced the tracks, so I have nice wide turns (26" min). This was a nice side benefit, as I found when I was designing for N scale I kept wanting to make things too tight. I was also able to limit the max grade to 1% and still allowing an over/under scene.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1014.jpg Views:	378 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	2739

My main interest in model railroading is the electronics portion. Everything is DCC including all of the powered turnouts. Although the layout size does not warrant such a thing, I do have the entire layout split into 11 different zones to allow for detection. Control is Digitrax using a wifi TCS throttle.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_998.jpg Views:	44 Size:	154.8 KB ID:	2665
    The current state of the layout is...well...like all layouts...under construction. 98% of the track is laid with just a couple exceptions as spurs will be laid when industries and placement is decided. Everything is powered and in the process of finishing up turnout control. At this stage, life is busy so what little does get done on the layout is mostly just running trains and tinkering with added decoders to newly found locos that find there way home. I hope to find more time soon to start in on some actual scenery and getting some industries placed so that some actual ops can be done.

I do have a blog (NSWRR.com) that details more about the layout and where I post frequent updates. I plan on updating here as well from this point on. Here are a few of the latest photos, more (and videos) can be found on my site.

​​Click image for larger version  Name:	speed-matching-locomotives.jpg Views:	40 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	2666
    Last edited by Allen; 02-18-2024, 09:31 AM.
    ~Matt

I look forward to following your progress.

Comment

Well, finally, RMR's "silent partner" chimes in!

Thanks for helping us get RMR up and running, Matt. And I too will be looking forward to seeing more of the NSWRR as your time permits.
      Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

• Matt S
        Matt S commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL The less I say, the less I get in trouble. Well, thats the theory anyway. It doesnt really happen that way though. Allen finally guilted me enough to get me posting. Actually I need to find some motivation to get going again. Hopefully this is will help.

Hi Matt........Allen said you had a nice layout and he was sure right. It fit's your room nicely with a believable track plan. How do you get into the center? I'm sure it's in your Blog which I will visit shortly. I can see why you switched back to N-scale with that beautiful coal train. We are all looking forward to more pictures as you start workin' on the railroad again. And thanks for your part in getting this site up and running.
      HO Scale

Comment

• Matt S
        Matt S commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a duck under, unfortunately. I tried a removable section but I am not a "master enough" carpenter to make it work flawlessly. It is a pretty high deck height so its not terrible, but that is the biggest drawback with this layout. I rather duck under than see a couple dogbone loops. I have a bunch of videos on my site that shows most of the layout.

• Michael Whiteman
        Michael Whiteman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your reasoning there Matt. You can always get a little stool and put on some wheels when your knees won't take it anymore.

Where did those BN B30-7 units come from Matt? I have never seen them in N-scale. They were one of my favorites so I bashed this one when I was running Lionel a long time ago.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BN B30-7A  4012  1.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2680
      HO Scale

Comment

• Matt S
        Matt S commented
        Editing a comment
        Both are custom builds. Not sure how I got lucky enough to find two. Found the first one on ebay, sold it to Allen when I moved to HO. Back to N and found another one from a friend of mine. So I have Allens as a long term leaser until he gives in and sells it back. (hint hint )

• Paul S.
        Paul S. commented
        Editing a comment
        Those sure bring back memories, Matt. B30-7As and LMX units were thick as fleas it seemed on BN up here, outnumbered only by SD40-2s and C30-7s.

Where in Nebraska are you located? I'm in Omaha.

Comment

• Matt S
        Matt S commented
        Editing a comment
        Bennet, just southeast of Lincoln.

Matt,
      I really like the track plan. Thanks for all the work you are doing for the forum and giving us (all members) a great place to be.

I always had a soft spot for cascade green!!
      " I came here to chew bubble gum and kick butt, and I am all out of bubble gum"

Comment

I'm glad you finally joined us Matt.
        Maybe instead of worrying about what to do next to the layout: scenery and stuff, maybe start looking at some sort of Ops?
        Once you get an idea of how things will work, then you can settle on any final track arrangements then some scenery can follow.

Ditto on what the others have said, thanks for helping with the forum software.
        BTW, those B30-7a's and that LMX sure look good!
        The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
        It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

Allen came over a while back and helped get my motivation going and helped decide how some of the remaining industries could be laid out. After that benchwork and track was laid, I filled in all of the "holes" on the benchwork with foam, so the deck is officially solid. (read no more falling trains). As I was working on that, I had to complete the bridge piers. And finally on the list, I reattached the fascia. Nothing is "permanent" yet, I have some minor adjustments that need done before I can officially cross it off my list. Here is an overview where the layout sits today and also a video. https://youtu.be/62-7iPg0LPg
          ~Matt

Comment

Very nice overview video. That bridge transition looks nice and smooth too. I am enjoying watching your progress.

Eric

Comment

Looks great Matt, can't wait to see in person tomorrow!
              The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
              It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

The above photo of your layout really captured my attention Matt. When I looked at you track plan long ago maybe not so much. Actually seeing how you have created the different scenes makes a lot of real world sense, especially how you have half hidden the staging tracks and still made them easily accessible. The amount of thought you have put into this track plan is sure evident to me. Overall it's very believable and should be a lot of fun to operate.

When I lived in Washington I saw, and grew to like, the GE B30-7a motors. Your's caught my eye. I didn't realize they were available in N scale and secondly the number 4012. Around 25 years ago I bashed one together using old Lionel pieces when I was modeling 3 rail. With all the redesign planning I did, how did I totally miss the number. Yours is correct, my motor has a dynamic braking box and should have a different number. I can't use the "senior moment" for an oversight way back then. Oh well............Lionel are toy trains anyway. Oops, forgot this site is not for toy trains. Sorry.

Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 08-19-2021, 08:17 PM.
                HO Scale

Comment

Thanks Michael. This is my second attempt at this room. The first (n scale) I got to about this stage and hated it. Hated N scale, hated the track plan. So I tore it out and started over in HO. It took forever to come up with a track plan and I eventually stole this concept from Pelle and adapted it to fit. After a short while in HO I decided that I didnt have the room to make it work, so I kept the track plan and reused it making it N scale. Which actually worked out great. When I planned N scale I forced curves. Now I have decent curves and it looks better. I have enjoyed the running of "loop" trains (cheeto trains as Allen calls them), the layout seems to lend itself to that pretty well. Now I am working on making it an ops friendly layout. Actually Allen is coming over soon to run an ops session to see if it flows or more works needs done. The track seems to be holding up well. I need to do some more wiring but enough is done to make it run. Now I am getting into the scenery realm....when people start taking notice of stuff and it doesnt look like a pile of lumber screwed together with trains running around on it.
                  ~Matt

Comment

Progress lately has been slow, mostly due to lack of motivation. I know many modelers take the opportunity called winter as modeling season. I am the opposite, most of my progress is done on sunny warm days. . Mostly just some running trains lately and these couple things.

Allen has been showing me how to weather cars. I am amazed how easy it really is. Of course I haven't gotten set up on my own yet. So real results to be seen. This is the first car about half done

Name:	PXL_20211123_232759687.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	6166

Also working on replacing switch machines with Walther's. I could go into details about how, why etc but I will wait to see if anyone is even interested. I could do a whole huge write up about this subject. . I also go into more detail on my blog.

Name:	PXL_20211125_012937224.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	6167

Safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited by Matt S; 11-25-2021, 05:56 AM.
                    ~Matt

Comment

You're workin' on the railroad, and that's what really counts. Your accomplishments will continue to keep you motivated. That BN car sure looks believable to me Matt...........and you say it's your first attempt? Allen's a good teacher.
                      HO Scale

Comment

Working...
                      X