CNY&NE RR Proto Freelance HO 1957-62 Era layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNY&NE RR Proto Freelance HO 1957-62 Era layout

OVERVIEW: Located in the lower level of my home in Northeast PA, my proto-freelanced 1957-62 era Central New York & New England HO layout is being constructed in my 12’ x 20’ finished train room. The theme is loosely based on the Maybrook, NY area railroads, but my version of Maybrook has the same basic railroads from the 1957 era, but I have added much more industry, passenger operations and many new fictitious shortlines. The layout is a modified mushroom type multi-deck design with the lower deck set at about 41” above the floor and the upper deck is about 57” high. There is also a 6’ diameter helix and staging tracks located in an adjacent room, shared with my workshop. There are about 50 industries and interchanges, 2 large 125 car capacity yards plus several other smaller yards for local work. The two decks are connected by a single track dedicated mainline on the helix. The railroad has plenty of very heavy industrial switching of the many interchanges and industries. Passenger operations include lots of head-end business, there is a Hudson River carfloat operation in Port Hendrick that crosses the Hudson river to compete with the New Haven RR Poughkeepsie bridge route. Through freights make appearances from the West and East setting off and picking up car blocks along the way. Instead of using the typical 4 cycle waybill car-card system used by many, I have developed an Excel based switch-list concept that prints switchlists for yard and train operation. You carry one simple sheet that tells you what to set- out and pick-up.

I am in the process of adding a major expansion to the layout in the adjacent Family Room, consisting of an 18” X 17’ double deck addition which connects to the main train room on both decks. I was having OP sessions before Covid hit and plan on continuing them in the near future as the world returns to a more normal state. This is a very basic overview and I will give more insight to the CNY&NE in future posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	6775
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	1156 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022smaller.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1157 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	1158 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	1159 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0284.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1160

That last photo is a killer Jim. Well Done.

Comment

Yes it is! Impressive.
      Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

Comment

Very Nice!
        The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
        It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

Thanks for your kind words. I will try to post some additional pictures soon. My Freelanced approach has allowed me to include a lot of my railroad interests, even if they did not exist in the actual Maybrook, NY area. I really enjoy industrial switching, and the layout has plenty of fun operations for those who enjoy this type of activity. My railroad is the wrong place to come to if you like running fast thru freights trains through vast country rural scenes! Although it is proto-freelanced, I am fussy about running historically era accurate equipment and have built structures that were era consistent. I have used this premise on the fictitious shortline operations that I run too. -Jim Leighty

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1224

Comment

• Alan B
            Alan B commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a nice scene! Of course, the NYOW F units helped a lot!
            Last edited by Alan B; 09-05-2023, 07:40 PM.

​ My passenger operations on the CNY&NE RR include several through passenger trains that stop to perform headend work and interchange passengers with other local passenger trains including some RDCs and motor trains. Several passenger trains are included in a typical OP session and I try to vary the trains that run from session to session. They provide an important "interference" with our typical through and local freight operations adding interest as they must clear up in time for their passage.
          Last edited by Jim Leighty; 05-30-2021, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• Paul S.
            Paul S. commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell me more about that station, Jim. Is that a kitbash?

Hi Paul, it is a CMR HO York passenger station kit that I built and modified slightly. I installed platform extensions to handle longer trains and headend equipment. This is a wonderful kit and has great instructions. It went together extremely well. I wanted a large period structure that was a bit different from the typical Walthers kits. I was going to do a kitbash until I saw this station built at the CMR booth at the Amherst Train Show. I have it lit up with custom gooseneck lights for night operation (see night photo above previously posted). It has become a real focal point on my layout and gets a lot of positive comments from visitors. With the large REA building close by, there is lots of fun headend switching of passenger trains as they pass through. -Jim

Comment

• Paul S.
            Paul S. commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a beautiful model, Jim. Well done!

Your layout and photos are impressive. I am looking forward to seeing more.

I have to add that your helix "guard rail" system is simple but effective. That is such an original way to prevent "momentary, rapid vertical acceleration events."

I will have to borrow that idea, if I build a helix as part of my future expansion plan.

Eric
          Last edited by Eric - Housatonic RR; 06-03-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Jim,
            Very nice. I like how you have head end switching on passenger trains.
            " I came here to chew bubble gum and kick butt, and I am all out of bubble gum"

Comment

I used bright colored masons string stretched over screws as a simple guard rail around the helix. It has remained very tight over the years, still offers access for any reason that you need to reach your train and has worked very effectively. If I needed, I could remove a section and reinstall it in minutes. I would highly recommend it!

Comment

• Paul S.
                Paul S. commented
                Editing a comment
                Great idea, Jim.

• Eric - Housatonic RR
                Eric - Housatonic RR commented
                Editing a comment
                It is simple and well though out. Well done!

• Allen
                Allen commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent Jim, I like the idea that you can remove it if needed.

Name:	DSC_0027.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	3357

Maywood Terminal is switching cars on the West Maywood Industrial line, which is part of the the Central New York and New England Railroad. This local works about 8 different industries in this area keeping its crew quite busy. After its work is complete, it will return to Port Hendrick Yard where it originated.
              Attached Files

Comment

Impressed with this quite a bit! Guardrail on helix, front end switching, general look of layout. Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, although the layout is heavily based on switching operations, the CNY&NE runs some very heavy through freights that stop at the major yards to make set-offs and pick-ups. Passenger operations include several through passenger trains with heavy headend business and a few commuter trains with conventional passenger equipment and RDCs.

Comment

The NYO&W local freight is switching in Maywood today and we are lucky enough to catch the action.

Name:	DSC_0029ALT.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	7856

Comment

Love it Jim! I enjoy seeing these random action images of layouts.
                      The Little Rock Line Blog

Rule #1 of model railroading.
                      It's probably responsible for the greatest number of shoddy layouts because no one feels compelled to improve themselves. Meh, good enough...

Comment

Working...
                      X