Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Home for the Colorado Front Range RR (HO scale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Home for the Colorado Front Range RR (HO scale)

Here is a video of the new CFR railroad. Work has all ready started on the storage of my hobby supplies and the wood shop that will be used to build the new bench work.

https://youtu.be/mXCY9C57FmE

Mike

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2164.JPG Views:	338 Size:	125.7 KB ID:	1031 Click image for larger version  Name:	184590759_2226442104155852_902773949693887698_n.jpg Views:	321 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	1032 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2168.JPG Views:	325 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	1033
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2167.JPG Views:	347 Size:	121.9 KB ID:	1035
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul S.; 05-04-2022, 10:32 AM.

You didn't waste any time getting the new layout going, Mike!
    Paul Schmidt

Comment

• MikeD
      MikeD commented
      Editing a comment
      Just getting the foundation set before starting the build.

I see the wheels on those shelves you were telling me about. That's gonna be so cool to roll your "scenery shelf" into the layout room fully loaded.
    HO Scale

Comment

Well I have been busy with the new track plan for the CFR much thanks to Michael Whitman who has help me with my last two layouts. here is what I have right now. This will be the starting plan that I will follow but the nice thing about large layouts is things can change. the ruling grade is the helix (yes it is spelled wrong on the plan) 1.7% with most of the layout at 1.1%. Here are some photos of the plan. Now if lumber would just return to normal pricing!!!!!

Comment

Mike, will you have enough space between sidings and towns so a train leaving one isn't entering another about the same time?
        Paul Schmidt

Comment

OK this looks to be the final plan the yard is laid out better in Denver and the Industry track is laid out as well Click image for larger version

Name:	CFR 8_2021 v1.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	2894 Click image for larger version

Name:	CFR 8_2021 Staging.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2895

Comment

Nice, Mike!

I did a little rough cipherin', and I figure the grade between Longmont and the yard throat at Denver to be about 1.8 percent -- very doable.
            Paul Schmidt

Comment

• Michael Whiteman
              Michael Whiteman commented
              Editing a comment
              Notice Paul, Palmer Lake has now become Larkspur. It's hard to keep up with Mike, I think this is version 8. What he didn't tell you is this grade has been planned for helper service out of Denver.
              Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 09-05-2021, 08:25 PM.

• MikeD
              MikeD commented
              Editing a comment
              Palmer Lake Became Larspur CO here is a link to the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHaR0Dr5WhE&t=43s

• Paul S.
              Paul S. commented
              Editing a comment
              Naw, I'm referring to Longmont at elevation 45 inches up to Denver at 50 inches, Michael. I see Larkspur at 53 inches.

But helpers out of Denver, eh? Now that sounds intriguing!
              Last edited by Paul S.; 06-15-2021, 03:34 AM.

Well, I have not posted much as I have been busy get ready to build the new layout . Fist the wood shop must be able to handle cutting up full sheets of plywood ( I built my last 2 layout 100% out of plywood ). the second is getting the layout room ready for the layout. (door removed and new lighting) doors are gone my wife and me are finishing up the paint, Lighting is coming but I have some electrical work to do first then install the new lights. I am on the eve of starting the benchwork.

Comment

• Paul S.
              Paul S. commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, Mike, good to see you once again!

• Allen
              Allen commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like you just got caught! Glad to hear there's still progress. Looking forward to watching the build.

• Michael Whiteman
              Michael Whiteman commented
              Editing a comment
              Getting rid of those French doors will sure improve the layout room. Hide and watch when Mike starts on his benchwork. With his new woodworking shop completed I'm sure it will progress very quickly.

Yep, for certain, Michael!
            Paul Schmidt

Comment

And so it begins… This will be freestanding bench work for the layout. With some points being anchored to the wall. These pillar designs that are a cabinet design are the three power districts need it for my layout. This is the Denver location the center will be for the staging yard the one to the left will be for Longmont and the one that’s not built yet on the right for Denver. L girders will go on top of this and I’ll start the staging yard after this is built the 74" helix built between two rooms. This is some of the most complicated bench work I have ever built. This will be slow here as I have pull out staging track shelfs to build as well. But once this foundation is done the rest will be easy.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	242529214_2336292056504189_7865407837720531255_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	4233 Click image for larger version  Name:	242507528_2336292076504187_7499773112478273265_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	4234
              Last edited by MikeD; 09-20-2021, 06:30 AM.

Comment

All right, Mike! The new adventure begins in earnest!
                Paul Schmidt

Comment

Mike, I’m all envy! A new space with a great looking plan. You are one lucky guy……. I do have trouble reading plans, is it a double deck as I see a helix I think.

Peter

Comment

• MikeD
                    MikeD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Peter, It is a single deck with staging yard on a lower deck. The helix runs down to the staging yard.

Got it, thanks.

Peter

Comment

Good weekend Got most of the staging yard footing in place and the L-girders in place painted the second wall sky blue and some of the bench work is painted as well. My hope is the week will allow me to get this all done so next weekend will got me to building the lower staging sub bed. that will mean laying the yard then to the helix. The "L" shape bench work is 24 by 17 feet.
                    Mike Deverell
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	4380 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	4381 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	349