Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New smaller simple layout

Hi all

After a move about 4 months ago , the layout I was building for the new place ended up not fitting as well as I hoped .

So a new smaller layout is needed . I have a downloaded plan I like in a lot of aspects .

I want to have a interchange track
    I want to have a local do most of the jobs on the layout
    I have up to 4×7 in space
    I will be using tortoise or similar switch machines to operate the layout
    I like the idea of a small sorting yard
    if needed a reversing section can be included, I have the gear already
    reach won't be a issue as the layout can easily slide out from the 2 walls it will be stored against
    DCC
    Would like 2 or 3 smaller industries to be rail served as well

Here is a plan im interested in

Click image for larger version

Name:	d9ac382ed34dac1bd196025d44bef614.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	4346
    this is one that was marked up by a NSN member

Name:	SpartanburgSubRevisedMRR.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	4347
    Here is a link to his reasons for the mark up

https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...659#post565659

Now , I want to make industry 3 area a Quarry. Right now I'm having a hard time figuring out how to switch out number 3 .
    It will be the main Industry on the layout .

I like the idea of serving it from the back side rather than the front side (yard side) . That way I can do a loop or so to give it a impression of separation from the townish area and the yard

Any ideas or suggestions or questions would be most gratefully listened to and responded to

Thanks

Steve

The coloured modifications certainly greatly improve the operating potential of this neat little layout. A rural branchline theme will fit right in. What time frame are you considering as this'll have some bearing on how you operate?
    As for your quarry spur, there's two methods of attack that spring to mind;
    1. The local freight, running clockwise, has the empties and and it's a straight swap-out -empties for loads- then in to the yard and remarshal the train for the return trip, with the loads from the quarry.....Of course the spur could be switched runner counter-clockwise but that involves 2 run round moves, something the real life crews would avoid if possible (too time consuming)
    2. Yard limits end at the green modification, clear of the crossing and quarry switch. The switcher pulls the empties from the yard along the passing track. Stops clear of the switch, lines passing track and quarry spur switches and, after cutting off from the mtys, runs up and couples to the loads. Loads pulled out onto the main, switcher cuts off then onto the back of the mtys and pushes out to the quarry. The switcher comes out of the quarry spur, resets the switch then couples onto the loads, pushing them back and zig-zags over to the yard.
    It's not as complicated as it sounds.
    More 'in depth' analysis is probably best discussed it the 'ops' forum

Comment

• Allen
      Allen commented
      Editing a comment
      Russ, that's pretty much what I was thinking about...

Hi Russ and Allen

The era I'm working is a little wide , late 90's to around 2015 ish . About a 20 year span I suppose . Like I said , it's a little wide .

Yes I will need to discuss the operation of it with you guys here . I want to get that figured out soon , so as any changes to the plan can be made while it's a blank slate so to speak

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Good evening,

I'd like to toss a couple of ideas regarding this layout using the modifications shown as a start.

Name:	Southern N scale - another idea.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	4444
      Three features were swapped around in this version. The quarry is now on an isolated spur that could get another siding after the bridge crossing, if desired. The interchange track comes over near the yard and "disappears" into the trees as does the main line. Depending on how the layout sits in the room, the interchanged cars could be swapped out in between runs. The last industry (textile mill or other customer) can have the bulk of the left center of the space and another parallel spur could be added to fit the industry.

The bulk material transload siding could be a place to unload cement from covered hoppers to semi trailers.

Just wanted to share some ideas with Steve and the group. Thanks for looking!

Tim Moran Akron, OH

Comment

• Eric - Housatonic RR
        Eric - Housatonic RR commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the suggested modifications.

• dave1905
        dave1905 commented
        Editing a comment
        A neat thing for the quarry would be to move the siding an inch or two away from the edge, then put the quarry at the layout edge and have stepped quarry face down the edge of the layout. Could be a real scenic element.

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow Tim
        That's some thinking outside the box . I really intrigued with your rendition . There is some really interesting possibilities there
        Thanks so much for taking the time to help out

Steve

I like your modifications to this plan very much. I might ditch the bridge, add a long second track and more substantial industry instead of the quarry. Prototypically, a large expensive bridge would not have been built to service a single small quarry. The interchange track might be extended further under the loop and forested area providing more "interchange" cars to enter and leave on the layout. Perhaps a freight house might add another switching opportunity if the era permits. Otherwise, a really well thought out small switching layout. -Jim

Comment

Working...
      X