First drawing for the New Colorado Front Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First drawing for the New Colorado Front Range

Click image for larger version  Name:	CFR Version 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	2322 Click image for larger version  Name:	CFR Version 2 staging.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	2323 I have spent that last few days reading a new book on the Colorado Joint line and going through all the employee time tables for 1955-1959 works out to the following 10 passenger trains from 4 railroads and 10 freight trains from 3 railroads. Not counting locals and one extra. while I may not model all the trains I would like to keep that in mind. The PDF is set to 12 inch squares. Please look at and share any thoughts.
    Mike

Last edited by MikeD; 05-31-2021, 09:48 AM. Reason: Updated Drawings

I had to go find a previous post to compare this with. Going forward it will be easier to follow if we all just continue with this one I think.

Anyway, knowing you and having the advantage of seeing your former CFR I'm wondering if Colorado Springs was accidentally overlooked where you mention this is where the helpers are cut off, or have you decided not to model that in favor of negative space country side?

I realize you have not drawn all of the trackage, only the important areas along with the mainline. Correct me if I'm wrong but the tail tracks on each end of the yard will connect to the mainline, right? I really like the way the tracks on the right side go down into staging located under Denver Union Station. Is the crossover in the middle of your A&D tracks to facilitate the possibility of 4 trains on those 2 tracks? If not, I have a suggestion. Tell me there will be more than one track onto your turntable.

The only thing I can see at this time would be in the area of your wye at the top of the drawing. A freight running left to right would have no trouble switching out the 2 industries you've shown but, running right to left would be impossible without a run around/passing siding on the main that would hold all the cars being shuffled around. Let me know if I'm missing something here. Overall I like this plan Mike. It's nowhere near as overwhelming as your last adventure. Let's talk soon.
    HO Scale

Comment

• MikeD
      MikeD commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike, Here is what I got done this long weekend. the Sugar Mill will be close to what I had before.

Mike, it seems to me that 57-inch minimum width aisles might be excessive. Comfortable, certainly, but you're giving up a lot of "railroad" space. A 48- or even 45-inch aisleway minimum would probably serve the same purpose and give you more options for the track plan.
    Paul Schmidt

Comment

• MikeD
      MikeD commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul, yes and no if I try to place that second peninsula the aisles get very narrow with on sitting close to 32 inches. I don't what that!!! I could make the bechwork wider but what do I gain not a longer run but more scenery also thing begin to get out of reach. I am open to ideas give it a shot.
      Mike
Working...
X