Tsunami 1100 ballast load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tsunami 1100 ballast load

As my little N scale Climaxes can't fit a sound decoder (I was lucky to have Digitrax DZ126T fitted to each) I'm making up 'stationary sound' units to MU with each loco. I have 2 steam Soundtraxx Tsunami 1100s to be fitted into plastic project boxes under the layout with 20mm (3/4 inch) speakers.
    Experimenting with the Tsunami has revealed I need something on the motor leads. A motor isn't really practical so was wondering if something like a 1/4 watt resister would work?

When I was modeling N scale, way back in the day, I wanted a better quality sound than the first generation speakers could produce so I opted to go with a remote Tsunami Sound Decoder mounted under the layout driving a pair of high quality headphones. I used a 100 ohm (Brn-Blk-Brn) 1/4 watt resistor across the motor terminals on the board and it worked flawlessly. Hope this helps you Russ.
    HO Scale

Comment

Thanks Michael, that's exactly what i needed to know. I thought it was 1/4 watt, wasn't sure about the rest.
      I'd go with the headphones idea except the sawmill kit I have has sound as well. So it's easier to have a speaker setup, particularly as I'll have 2 locos set up like this.

Comment

Understood. I am using this same sound decoder on my current very small HO switching layout and driving a 3" speaker with no problem. That little chip puts out a whole watt of power. If you want real life one to one scale sound feed the chip into your home entertainment center just for grins.
        HO Scale

Comment

• Russ C
          Russ C commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha....I should do that just to annoy my daughter!!

I'm planning on using a Digitrax DN163A0 decoder just for lighting in a dummy Geep 38, so your tip on the 100-ohm resistor across the motor leads is timely, Michael Whiteman. That should keep the decoder happy.
        Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n‚Äč

Comment

• Michael Whiteman
          Michael Whiteman commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously you're planning a two unit lash up Paul. You could save the chip and hardwire the dummy's headlight to the powered unit. A couple of small black wires between the engines would look like MU cables. I'm sure you could fab some sockets.

What I've done in the past is to use very small diameter tubing as the female end secured somewhere on the pilot. Then just push the the stripped end of the MU cable into the hole. The headlight facing the powered unit will not light unless you use 4 MU cables, which is a little over the top. Just a thought...............
          Last edited by Michael Whiteman; 10-11-2021, 09:17 PM.
      Working...
      X